Choosing an IDC Center
There are literally 1000`s of Instructor Development Course (IDC) centers in all corners of the globe, which is great as you have a lot of options- but how do you choose the right IDC center?
Well, the IDC is your path to becoming a proud member of the diving professional world as an OWSI (Open Water SCUBA Instructor). Before deciding on where to do the IDC you should do a lot of research and ask yourself several questions. Here are a few things to think about to help you decide.
- An IDC is not cheap but there are alot of good package deals out there. It is a very competetive market to be in and so many centers are really going the extra mile to give potential students top notch training with alot of extras such as workshops, accomodation and a range of dive specialties all included.
- Think about where you would like to work. An IDC center is more likely to hire instructors they have trained themselves. It`s also a great opportunity to get to know the dives, meet other instructors and get familiar with the place. This all helps when looking for a job- It`s not what you know but who you know! So, if you want to work in Thailand for example, then do an IDC in Thailand.
- Check out reviews and recommendations on dive forums. There are alot of posts out there with some good advice. Be careful of advertising and name dropping as forums are very often used by dive centers as a marketing tool.
- Can you speak the language?
Where should you take your PADI IDC?
This is a very big question and there is no correct answer but you can narrow down your selection by considering the following
- What do you want to do once you complete your courses and exams
- Where you want to work once you are a Scuba Instructor (OWSI)
- Where the Instructors that took you for your Divemaster or Assistant Instructor course do their IDCs
- The experience of the Course Director*
- Location and water temperature and conditions
- Resort popularity (you may want to be on a almost deserted island but not everyone wants that)
- Other Instructor training availability (Master Scuba Diver Trainer – MSDT prep program and Instructor specialties)
- IDC accommodation and facilities (do you need wifi access, do you have your own room?)
- What is the potential for work after you pass
- Does the Course Director offer an IDC Preparation program
- Could I do my Staff Instructor course with the Course Director in the future
- What do previous IDC students say about the IDC course and the Course Director and staff.
- How easy it is get a work permit in the country of the IDC
- How much will it cost to get a work permit and how often do you need to renew it.
- How politically stable is the country?
- If I don’t reach the required standard on the IDC can I do the next one.
- If I fail my IE can I stay in resort and sit the next one.
- Are their recompression chambers nearby
- What are the medical facilities like in resort.
- What protection to wear (rash vests, wetsuits or drysuits)
- How does the Course Director answer your IDC Questions
- Freshwater or Saltwater.